We all get it. We are all stuck at home with nothing to do. Some of us are stuck at home with kids, some with roommates or significant others. Regardless of your situation, this whole thing has us stir crazy. What are people doing about it? Apparently, we make cocktails! Did you know, liquor stores reported a 55% increase in sales in March of 2020? Since this quarantine is going through at least May of 2020, lets talk about some options for quarantine cocktails.
How did we determine which cocktails are worthy?
- Would we drink them.
- Are they expensive?
- Are they easy to make?
- Would the ingredients be easily available?
Let’s start with a short grocery list that will maximize your cocktail consumption:
- Ginger Beer
- Pop (yes we call it pop because we’re from Nebraska, otherwise known as soda or cola)
Now let’s talk cocktails!
- Mules: Most are familiar with the Moscow Mule … 1 1⁄2 oz vodka, 4 oz ginger beer and 1/6 oz lime juice. Switch out the vodka with tequila, now it’s a Mexican mule. Switch out the vodka with whiskey, now it’s an Irish Mule.
- Margaritas: A simple margarita recipe is tequila, lime juice, simple syrup and orange liqueur. Don’t have orange liqueur? Try a splash of ginger beer or a splash of a lemon/lime pop. Also, if you don’t have tequila, try vodka.
- Screwdriver: 1 3⁄4 oz vodka, 3 1⁄2 oz orange juice … if you have grenadine, then switch out the vodka with tequila and voila, you now have a tequila sunrise.
- Hot Toddy: 1⁄4 lemon, 1 Tablespoon honey and 2 ounces whiskey. Make it cold instead of hot and you have a whiskey sour. Remove the honey and add ginger ale, congratulations, you just made yourself a ginger highball.
- Spiked Tea or Lemonade: Spiked Southern tea contains 2 ounces bourbon, 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup and 4 ounces tea … or simply add a shot of your favorite liquor to your favorite lemonade.
- Irish Coffee: Combine 2 1⁄2 ounces of coffee, with 1 1⁄2 ounces of whiskey and 1⁄2 ounce cream.
- The Good Ole’ Regular: Finally, you always have the gold standard of liquor mixed with pop or juice of your choice …
- Kamikaze: If this lasts for much longer just dump everything together!